Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Connecting with the Milledgeville and GCSU community

Some of the WGUR staff members at the IBS conference in NYC (March '09)

So, it was Monday afternoon at my usual, tedious WGUR executive staff meetings.  I'm sitting there thinking, "God, I wish I could be napping right now."  But that was before Jodie mentioned the fact our sponsorships are down and we need a new one who would be willing to donate a large amount to our station.  My wheels start turning.  I remember my bosses at Magnolia Park are looking for a way to boost their morale in hopes of getting leases.  I remember the phrase at a recent staff meeting, "We're willing to do anything that can bring more traffic through our door.  Cost does not matter."  What better way for them to do that than tag team some events with WGUR?  

Without much hesitation and little organized thought, I blurted out, "Magnolia would be willing to donate about $1,000."  There was a loud, swift, turn of the necks in my direction.  Mrs. Criscoe, our adviser, turns to me and says, "How can we make that happen?"  

I began to suggest having a WGUR pool party at Magnolia.  We could have items with both Magnolia Park's logo and WGUR's.  It would be a great way for WGUR to invite the Milledgeville and GCSU community, and for Magnolia to hopefully connect with students in hopes of gaining more leases.  

So, how does this relate to PR?  Well, as assistant business manager of WGUR, I work closely with the PR director.  It's our job to gain contacts, connections to hopefully boost our morale.  One of the cardinal principles of a PR person is the ability to boost your image.  With the joint partnership with Magnolia Park, WGUR can hopefully bring more listeners, and money for future events.  Magnolia Park, on the other hand, can gain more leases and more attention on the radio and word of mouth.  

And to think I wanted to go home and nap...  

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Fans