Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Athletic Auction - A Good Time, and an even better experience!

My PR & Admin class worked together this past weekend on the GCSU Athletic Auction.  The event, however, for us, began in January.  Dr. Miller ("Ging") put us in groups and we pitched theme ideas to our clients, members of the GCSU Athletics staff and faculty.  The clients then picked which theme (and sometimes elements of each) they liked best, and we were on our way!  I have never had so much fun working together with a group... of women!   

The GCSU Athletic Auction, in my opinion, was a HUGE success!  I had a great time working the door and greeting people as they walked in.  I greeted people with a smile, politely asked to see their ticket and sent them on their merry way.  It was fun being the first to see all the great people who wanted to contribute to GCSU athletics.  I kept saying, "Oh, good, you've already got yours (ticket) torn!  Good luck on the $10,000 reverse raffle!"  Most folks would politely laugh and say, "Yeah, like I have a chance..."  But one of those people I greeted did win.  And hey, it was almost us, too!  This was definitely a moment where I felt the true connector in me come out.   

I think one of the greatest things I took away from the auction was the importance of time management.  I think our class did a wonderful job of making sure everything was done in a timely, and efficient manner.  No one seemed to run over themselves, and everything that needed to get done was done collectively.  There was little to no bickering, from what I saw.  In fact, I heard more excitement and satisfaction from my PR ladies than anything else.  I continue to be amazed at how well we all work as a cohesive team.  We're all good at something, and all pitch in where we're best suited.  That's one reason why I wanted to work the door.  I knew I would enjoy speaking to people as they walked in the door, and could direct them further.  My greatest strength is communication with others.  Even if I am socially awkward.  

After the auction was over, and we were cleaning up, I pulled Carol aside and put my arm around her.  I smiled sweetly and said, "Just be honest with me, Carol, you know this was the best auction ever, right?"  She smiled and said, "I'm always impressed with the PR work, but your class really impressed me this year."  Now, I don't suggest doing this with future clients, but it felt good to receive a compliment from a client.  

So, in a nutshell, I say good job, ladies!  I think we should be very proud of the work we did.   And thank you for putting up with all my shenanigans during the planning and execution of the event.  LASC! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Fans