Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Summer Internship


This past weekend I interviewed for an internship at the Museum of Aviation in Warner Robins.  I grew up in Warner Robins, and I've always loved the military/air force town feel of my home.  I love the atmosphere.  The sounds of planes taking off, the loud sonic booms that shake your house, the exhilaration you feel when watching the Thunderbirds take off... ah, so cool!  All aspects of it are such a thrill to me!  So, I can think of no place I'd rather do an internship than at the Aviation Museum.  

I went in on Friday morning, and spoke to Mr. Bob Dubiel.  He's a retired colonel of the US Air Force.  He told me all the operations of the museum, how it makes money, how it gives money back, etc., etc.  I really enjoyed meeting with him. 

Along with my resume, I showed him some of my PR work from last semester.  He really liked that I got published multiple times in multiple media outlets.  After telling me I was able to work there, he then told me what I would be doing.  He said the main struggle the museum has is networking.  He wants me to show him the skills I have with Twitter, Facebook, and reach out to people (potential visitors) outside the Middle Georgia area.  He also wants me to create surveys, and work directly with the visitors.  He wants me to get their opinions, find out what they like, don't like, favorite exhibits, etc.  He also wants me to write various press releases to be submitted to newspapers outside the Middle Georgia area.  

Here's the best part!  The museum hosts a big event every summer.  Ready for this?  It's an auction!  It's their biggest event all year, and he asked if I'd like to help coordinate it.  How funny is that?  I told him, "Well, believe it or not, I'm currently working on an auction in my PR class for GCSU!  I'll have some experience in that area, come time for the internship!"  We both laughed.  

Looking forward to a great summer!  Check out the picture and link above to see where I'll be working.  I'm so excited!!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Fans