Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Before and After Effect

First rule of Public Relations - Get your hands and feet dirty and then dive in head first!

I’m going to refer to this post as the “Before and After” effect. I have come a long way since attending GCSU beginning in the Fall of ’07. As I look back at my time as an undergrad in the Mass Communication department I am reminded of many things I wish I had known before I was accepted.

1. Never, ever underestimate the wonderful power of networking.

Networking yourself is probably the best way to get noticed in the business world, school life, personal life, etc. Throw yourself out there, and tell your potential employers why they can’t live without you on their team. I learned this the hard way during my internship. At first I was extremely intimidated by my bosses at the Museum of Aviation. I found, however, that these bosses I was scared of would possibly lead me to another job in the future. Once I let go of my inhibitions, I was able to get to know them and succeeded in impressing my higher ups. This has potentially left open the door for future careers.

2. Always have a plan of action.

One of the things I quickly understood when getting into the public relations concentration was that I needed to always have a plan and not just “wing it” as I had done for the previous two years. PR is not a type of career you can just “wing it” because it requires thorough planning on your part and your team’s part. The decisions you make can effect not only you but your entire team. This is why I’m glad I now understand the importance of timelines for deadlines. Never underestimate how amazing writing things down can be. Don’t just plan to remember an important date or due date. WRITE it down!

3. Be flexible.

This sounds really easy, but unfortunately it’s not. Never get too comfortable where you currently sit. Tomorrow that seat could be taken and you might need to find a new place. Don’t be afraid to wear another hat if your time permits it. Find your skills and use one at a time, because tomorrow you might not need it, but you may need the others. If you allow yourself to be moved around and experience different areas of PR, you’ll have a more well-rounded experience.

4. Write until your hand hurts!

I love writing! But I hate, HATE AP style. I have found, however, that AP style is probably the hardest thing to get down but the most beneficial skills in any media career. During my internship I wrote a zillion (okay, more like twelve) press releases. I am thankful, because it allowed me to study the style more and keep it fresh in my mind. I can now say I can write press releases in my head. I know what an effective lead looks like, how to include the 5 W’s, and where quotes are necessary. Simply put, don’t be afraid of writing. Write until your hand hurts because only then will you truly begin to understand anything about AP style.

5. Take photography classes! Or rather, never be afraid to develop new skills!

Finally, I would recommend taking a photography class if your class schedule permits. During my summer internship I found that photography would greatly enhance my ability as PR professional. During the summer internship, I submitted a press release inviting the media to cover a big event. Well, guess what? No one showed up! Why? Michael Jackson had died and this was more newsworthy than an article concerning the Museum. I found that if I could take my own photos and include them in a press release, the media’s work would have already been done. They could run my article (pictures and all) in their next issue. Unfortunately, my photography skills were limited to saying “Say Cheese!”

There you have it. Those are just a few things I wish I knew back when I was a pre-public relations student/major. I wish all new public relations students all the best. Make this major/career all you can make it. As I said before, get your hands and feet dirty! Then dive in head first! Most of all have the time of your life. College is far too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Fans