Wednesday, December 9, 2009

So, this is it? Hello, real world!


I can't believe my time in the Mass Communication department is coming to an end. I can't believe I was blessed to be part of a winning chapter in a national competition for PRSSA. (See winning teams above) I'm blessed on multiple levels...

There's a lot on my mind, and there's so much I want to say, but I think a Top 10 things I learned is the best way to express what I'm feeling...

1. Never underestimate the power of networking. As we learned the last two years in the Mass Communication department there is nothing better than a strong professional relationship that can serve you well in future years to come.
2. Learn the power of AP style and use those skills in all your writings whether it be in the form of a flyer or a press release submitted to the media.
3. Treat your internship like it's the job you've always wanted and stay positive throughout your time there. You're bound to learn something new if you dive in head first.
4. Don't sweat the small stuff. There's going to be a time when you make a mistake. Fix it and move on. Don't dwell on the little things you cannot change.
5. Don't stay a benchwarmer for long. It's okay to watch from the crowd from time to time, but don't get stuck there. You'll never succeed if you don't go out and try it for yourself. (See number 4)
6. Learn when enough is enough. Sometimes you may have more than you can handle at a given moment. Don't be afraid to tell someone you cannot help them. It's OK!
7. Take a photography course if you can. If there's one thing I found out during my internship it was the awesome power of new skills. Take the photography course, it's a skill that will come in handy, mark my words!
8. If you've got an idea, share it! Don't be afraid if people don't understand it immediately. Take the time to explain it, and wait to see what your colleagues think. If they reject it, think of something new and move on. (See number 5)
9. Make the most of every situation. Sometimes you're going to be unhappy and you're going to work with people you don't like, and that's OK! You can be the person who gets the job done and does it with a smile on their face. It's better to be professional throughout than be a cry baby.
10. Finally, always do your best to work cohesively with your PR teammates. Thankfully, this always worked well in my PR group. I couldn't have asked for a better time these past few semesters.

I wrote a similar piece in my last opinion column for The Colonnade. Take a look here.

Oh, and one final thing: To my PR class, I am truly thankful for your friendship and the skills you have taught me. I will miss you all, but I know this is not goodbye but merely so long. So long is not goodbye as it's not infinite.
To Ging, all the LASC in the world, and thanks again for all your advising, patience, and generous support you've given us all. I truly believe with the skills you have taught us, we will all leave this school and take the PR world by storm!

LASC,
Tyler G. Bryant

1 comment:

My Fans